Formatting metric data
- Use the Number Format option under the right click menu on a metric name (from the dossier’s dataset panel) to define the desired format.
- All formats available under the Number Format menu are supported (except aggregated values are not formatted in fraction)
- Red color coding for negative numbers is not supported (in any format). But use of minus (-) sign or parentheses () is retained in the vitara charts.
Usage of Metric Formatting:
There are two types of numbers in Vitara Charts
Actual data numbers
- These numbers have a formatted value as defined by the users in the dataset.
- The actual data numbers are used in data labels and tooltips.
- These numbers are obtained as a result of some form of aggregations performed in Vitaracharts.
(example: axis labels, stack totals, Data values in charts like Calendar Heat Map when the data is provided at day level and visually represented at higher level like week, month or year)
- For these numbers metric Format is identified using the formatted value of an Actual data number or format string from metric metadata.
- Aggregated value is formatted using the identified metric format.
- Formatting in fraction is not supported.
Vitara charts Identifying Metric Format:
Microstrategy provides metadata for metrics which contain format string and metric type
- The metric type is used to identify type of data values like date, percentage
- The Format string is used to identify,
- Condensed format
- Prefix and suffix symbols (such as $/€ for currency)
- Date, scientific and percentage metric types when number format is set to automatic or custom
- Format used in negative values: minus sign ‘-’ or parentheses ‘()’
- Percentage data is identified using format string received from MicroStrategy
- This is done irrespective of the number format selected in Microstrategy
- When format string is identified as percentage, all data from the metric is expected to be in percentage form
- Any aggregations applied on the metric data (from VitaraCharts menus) are updated accordingly
- All labels(data labes, axis labels, totals) and tooltips are formatted accordingly
- Formatting in Vitara Bar Chart (Formatted Values are represented in Microstrategy Grid Chart):
- Using custom format in the same dossier:
- Using percentage format in the same dossier:
In all the above scenarios, irrespective of the Number Format of the metric, formatted value(as shown in Grid Chart) is used to identify the percentage data. Metric values in Data labels, Axis labels and Tooltips are formatted as percentage.
- If the formatted string contains ‘%’ symbol, the metric is identified to contain percentage data.
Dossier with ‘%’ symbol in formatted string:
In all the above screenshot, Formatted value(as shown in Grid Chart) shows ‘%’ even though the data is not in percentage form. Metric values in Data labels, Axis labels and Tooltips are incorrectly formatted as percentage.